I feared, though, that it was going to be slow going. I could hardly get my shoes on during the day I first attempted to run last week. But I know how to play mind games with myself (see my recent post, of course), let me tell you. So I put on my favorite Lady Gaga song of late, just to kind of get me dancing in my seat at home. Five songs in, I was ready.
And as soon as I got out, even with a little discomfort, and the promise that I wouldn’t run that far, I found my rhythm. Kept it up for a proper long run, even.
So, I write to share the list that inspired me to get back to/stay on the road so soon after my back-pain/fainting-scare race. And look forward to adding to it as I remind myself that running is nearly – very nearly! – as fun as dancing for me.
The current Maniac Music list (will come up with better name in future months, I promise), in dorky alphabetical order (by song – keeps it fresh when it pops up on the iPod, I tell ya):
- “Bad Romance” – Lady Gaga
- “Boyz” – M.I.A. (Really this should go at the top, if I were ranking by importance. This is the original Walk Like A Fierce Maniac song for me.)
- “Dog Days Are Over” – Florence & The Machine
- “Empire State Of Mind” – Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys (Yes, slower than the others, but this song just makes me want to hop around. Which makes for good running too. Also, watch the music video if you ever want to get pumped to visit NYC.)
- “I Know” – Jay-Z
- “Love Generation” – Bob Sinclar
- “Me Enamora” – Juanes (See photos.)
- “Once in a Lifetime” – Talking Heads
- “Paper Planes” – M.I.A. (You can see that I get in the mood for certain artists.)
- “A Praise Chorus” – Jimmy Eat World
- “Rosa Parks” – Outkast
- “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)” – Beyoncé (Next step, learning the dance. Either her for video or for this one.)
- “Stand Up Guy” – T.I.
- “Stronger” – Kanye West
- “Telephone” – Lady Gaga feat. Beyoncé
- “Tik Tok” – Ke$ha (Just don’t listen to the lyrics.)
- “Till I Collapse” – Eminem feat. Nate Dogg
- “Whatever You Like” – T.I.
- “When I Grow Up” – Pussycat Dolls
- “Who You Are” – Pearl Jam